Seminal plasma calcium in normal and infertile patients
Urologia 2017; 84(1): 35 - 37
Article Type: ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
AuthorsKalanghot P. Skandhan, Birendranath Mazumdar, Balakrishnan Sumangala, Vasudevan Jaya
In this study an attempt is made to find out the level of calcium in seminal plasma of normal and infertile patients.
Semen samples are collected from 34 normal men and 112 infertile patients. After semen evaluation seminal plasma was separated and calcium level was measured in it.
Calcium level in mg% is recorded in each group as follows; in normozospermia (n34) 20.14 ± 1.25 (±SE), oligozoospermia (n26) 9.76 ± 1.17, azoospermia (n33) 14.65 ± 2.63, oligoasthenozoosperma (n28) 20.91 ± 1.94 and in asthenozoospermia (n25) 11.56 ± 1.68. Statistically highly significant reduction in calcium is seen in Oligozoospermia and asthenozoospermia.
The probable reasons for these two conditions are discussed.
- • Accepted on 15/02/2016
- • Available online on 07/09/2016
- • Published in print on 03/02/2017
This article is available as full text PDF.
- Skandhan, Kalanghot P. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, * Corresponding Author (email@example.com)
- Mazumdar, Birendranath [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1
- Sumangala, Balakrishnan [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 2
- Jaya, Vasudevan [PubMed] [Google Scholar] 1, 3
Department of Physiology, BJ Medical College, Ahmedabad, Gujarat - India
Sree Narayana Institute of Medical Science, Chalakka, Ernakulam, Kerala - India
South East Alabama Medical Centre, Dothan, Alabama - USA